Plastic-Free Face Lotion
Creams and lotions found in cosmetic shops usually come in plastic packaging, have a short lifetime, and contain chemicals that are harmful to the skin and cause irritation.
Personally, I use this all-natural face lotion which is easy to make at home and contains sustainable ingredients not harmful to the environment. The lotion is super gentle and amazing for all skin types, especially sensitive skin, and could be applied anytime, day and night. It’s ingredients contain moisturizing, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and anti-aging benefits.
What you need:
Olive oil (about 2 tablespoons)
Beeswax (cut into 5-6 smaller pieces)
Raw honey (1 tablespoon)
Shea butter (1 tablespoon)
Pomegranate seed oil
What to do:
- Pour the olive oil in a small glass bowl
- Add beeswax to the olive oil
- Add a tablespoon or less of Shea butter
- Pour a little bit of water in a small saucepan on the stove. Put the glass bowl containing the oil, beeswax, and butter into the pot. The water should reach partway up the sides of the small bowl, but not enough to spill over the top. This method is called “double boil”, it melts the ingredients without putting them directly in water.
- Let it simmer on low heat and melt all together.
- Once it melts, take the bowl out of the pan and let it cool down.
- Put around 40 drops of pomegranate seed oil into the mix.
- Add a tablespoon or less of honey
- Stir it altogether
- Fill the lotion in a small reusable glass jar
There you go, a zero-waste, plastic-free face lotion!
Keep the jar for refills once the lotion is finished.
Check out this blog post to make your own natural and plastic-free deodorant.